Thursday, March 8, 2012

International Woman’s Day

 

I had never been aware of this “holiday” until I moved to Niger. The first year CURE was open, all and I mean ALL of the female employees came to Leron’s office to have a meeting. I think I have a picture somewhere that I will attempt to dig out…found em!

March 8 2011 011

It seemed funny that they came in to tell him that he needed to do something very special for them. The stressed how important it was that none of the men benefit from their special treatment. So it began, celebrating our females employees. It is a pretty big deal here. Some people have special outfits made and some even have fabric made to commemorate the day. Here are some pictures from last year.

Best Morning 019   Best Morning 057

So when Leron came home today and reminded me that today was International Woman’s Day, I asked what special treat the ladies had today. He said that Issafou prepared as special lunch of pintade, potatoes and green beans. then he commented how yummy it was. Confused, I asked how he knew. Really the ladies really don’t like the men to join in the celebration unless it is in the serving capacity. So Leron begins to tell me that Samna, our HR Manager, went home and got some of his wife’s clothes and he and Leron dressed up as women. I so wish that I would have been there! Samna is so jolly and loves a good joke. He really got into it.

DSCN2365      DSCN2360

I did not know that it was International Woman’s Day until dinner time but I did have a sweet lunch out at a favorite restaurant with friends today. I will count that as celebration. Then another nice surprise, our friend Souleyman’s mother came around dinner time with rice and spicy sauce. She also had a dress made for Becca as she is a young woman. So, today , even though it is almost over…..I celebrate woman…..from all walks of life, from every nation on the earth….all unique and wonderfully made. I count it such a joy to be a woman and to know so many great ones!

2 comments: