Thursday, February 13, 2014

“To market to market…..”

No, I did not buy a “fat pig”, but I could have!  (to market to market to buy a fat pig…over the hill….jiggety jig). But I bought plenty of produce. I am not sure why I do not do this on a regular basis? I LOVE the market. SO much to see!! We always encounter the fish first. I was not aware that they ate the parrot fish! Who needs to snorkel? Just go to the market…ha ha, I prefer the snorkeling. Any way, what a variety. The larger chunks are swordfish…there are big fish, tiny fish, dried fish, shell fish and squirmy fish (live). Starting to sound a bit like a Dr Seuss!

               IMG_3649              IMG_3651 IMG_3650IMG_3652 IMG_3653 IMG_3654 IMG_3655

Of course, I needed to stop and watch the man make lumpia. Today, they had put a bit of food coloring into the dough for a nice orange color. There is something oddly relaxing about watching him slap the sticky dough down on to his griddle.

IMG_3656 IMG_3658 IMG_3659

I love asking about fruits, veggies, fish and in this case animal parts (heads and feet) that I am not familiar with. Everyone is so happy and helpful. Sometimes, I buy some and try to incorporate it into my cooking and sometimes…I just leave it alone…like these…..

IMG_3666

I also love getting a pineapple that has been cored and fresh jackfruit without having to buy a large fruit. This woman even gave me a taste test. She was so kind and generous. I likes the smaller section of jackfruit best, sweeter!

IMG_3678

The colors and displays draw me in and I feel like a kid in a candy store. I am starting to know what is ripe and what the prices could and should be. Mangosteens are not in season yet and the durian was not too stinky yet (Janessa helped me test this out, she thought a little stinky, BUT wait until March WOWZERS)!

IMG_3670 IMG_3674 IMG_3675 IMG_3676 IMG_3677

I love the colorful fruit but the people are the ones who make it such a joy! Whether they are selling chicken, baskets, fruit or flowers, they just love to say “hello” and give you a welcoming smile. What a great trip and now, I have lovely fresh produce and even a bouquet of orchids to enjoy!

IMG_3673 IMG_3683 IMG_3693IMG_3697

No comments:

Post a Comment