Saturday, June 21, 2014

I NEVER knew!

This may seem bizarre, but yesterday I remembered that I have a blog! Ha ha ha. This has happened to me a few times, and then I almost feel awkward about my first post back after a long break. So then, I look for something interesting or inspiring to get me started again. Something to break the ice. I initially started this blog when I lived in Niger as a way to share what was going on at the CURE hospital there. For past year and a half, I have been acclimating to a new place and my posts have been a bit more about discovery here. Starting over. Home and Hospital. Soon there will be an new CURE hospital open here in  the Philippines and lots of little kids to play with. I can’t wait! But right now, I find myself here on this different continent just getting back from a vacation on yet another continent and hmmmmmm? What to share? It is summer break, things have slowed down with our school schedule and there are always  things happening at the hospital as it is nearing it’s completion. I will blog soon when that happens as I want to take a bunch of updated pictures. So back to the task at hand, what is on my mind today? Don’t laugh, but at the moment it is

EGGS!

Not just any eggs. QUAIL eggs. They almost look they should contain  chocolate, right? MMMM, malted milk eggs! Well no, they are just really little eggs. Love their varied spots and design.

IMG_6553

These funky lil speckled little eggs really pack a nutritional punch! Here are a couple of articles about the particulars.  Healthy living! Maybe this quote will whet your appetite to click on the link? “Quail eggs are packed with vitamins and minerals. Even with their small size, their nutritional value is three to four times greater than chicken eggs. Quail eggs contain 13 percent proteins compared to 11 percent in chicken eggs. Quail eggs also contain 140 percent of vitamin B1 compared to 50 percent in chicken eggs. In addition, quail eggs provide five times as much iron and potassium. Unlike chicken eggs, quail eggs have not been know to cause allergies or diathesis. Actually they help fight allergy symptoms due to the ovomucoid protein they contain.“ The comparison to chicken eggs is amazing to me.  According to the  the Quail Farm, eggs should be considered as super-food and IF it is going to be eggs, it should be a QUAIL egg!

IMG_6554

Well, we love eggs and consume them regularly. So, yes, Leron tried to fry one and first of all the lil bugger’s shell was harder than he thought AND of course quite a small portion.The taste was nice and just a little different. Think we will go ahead and make them a part of our weekly menu!

IMG_6555

Hmmm, but now I am also thinking about malted milk eggs….we have tried some of those since being in the Philippines and YUCK, we get all excited, buy some… get home… out of the box and …..YUCK. I do not think the hot humid weather agrees with the little dandies. Wow, that was random. Made me smile though! So for now, it will need to be fresh quail eggs. Pretty tasty!

1 comment:

  1. That's so interesting! We were host parents to students from Malaysia and they would cook a meal for us using quail eggs....who would have thought they were real super brain food! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete