Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Chicken Dancin’ in Niger

 

I absolutely LOVE it when we have surgical camps. They not only provide important training but they fill the hospital to the brim. A group of 28 children, with a few adults arrived last Thursday evening from Zinder.  They are such a polite, fun and lively bunch. I spent both yesterday and this morning meeting all the new children who have come to have surgery (Cleft/palate). Some have had their surgeries and were not very happy about it, some were awaiting surgery that particular day and the rest were still playing and somewhat carefree.

April2012Camp 014

This camp, I wanted to change up my activity there a bit. I had the silly idea of downloading some new music to my Ipod and teaching the movements. Chicken Dance was at the top of the list! After only 2 days, the kids are using the chicken hands to motion what they want to do. Yes, it is hot (VERY hot) dancing in the unbearable heat, but the giggles are priceless! Other songs in the repertoire…Cha Cha Slide, Freeze Dance, Electric Slide……

April2012Camp 003             April2012Camp 004

Yesterday, Julie and I just danced and gave the kids waiting in the ward a nice distraction (I hope!). Not sure who had more fun? The nurses were quite amused as well….they even judged us and handed cards indicating their winner when we finished….a little biased as Josh won and he was not actually dancing!

Today, there were many unhappy kids in the ward first thing, I tried my best to comfort them and help them best I could. Sometimes just sitting beside them and holding their hand was what was needed. Coloring books and of course BUBBLES! I did envision myself as a “Candy Striper” here!!! With much joy, I played the part today. I am so grateful that my gift of silly play is coming in handy!

When I took my music to the outside area, Harouna  met me with a HUGE smile. He wanted to dance again today. His dad asked me to take a picture of the two of them and he encouraged the rest of the kids to join.

April2012Camp 003

We danced & clapped & listened & laughed & took pictures & blew bubbles &chased bubbles. Just a super time being together.  Habib came and tried to get some of the girls to show us a dance from their village. A little too shy today, but maybe at the end of the week?

April2012Camp 005             April2012Camp 007

They really loosened up as we hung out. It was a great time for all ages ……we even danced sitting down!! My morning concluded with a precious little two year old asleep in my lap. See what Chicken Dancin’ leads to? An absolutely WONDERUL morning with new friends.

April2012Camp 008             April2012Camp 011

April2012Camp 013

No comments:

Post a Comment