Tuesday, September 25, 2012

CURE @ PLAY

mural 003

I have to say that CURE is one of my favorite places here in Niamey, Niger.  Since coming back from our leave in the states, I have really enjoyed watching and helping a bit with the art therapy. So, now we are connecting with patients through various art forms! Got thinking about how unique each person is and the different ways we connect and bring joy to others. Each person brings his gifts and talents  and I think it really benefits our patients and their families….so, really the sky is the limit and I love seeing the creativity flowing. Painting, coloring, knitting, gardening, cooking, cutting, drawing, juggling, beading, singing, bubbling, talking, making silly noises/faces, balloon animals, dancing, musical instruments…okay, you get the idea. That is not an exhaustive list. I thought it was fun looking  through my pictures and decided to post a few. Enjoy CURE @ PLAY!

We sure do a lot of laughing. I have heard it said that “laughter is the best medicine”. Many of patients need much more than laughter, but it is certainly a part of the healing process.

Some of the most recent hijinks include a unicycle and a wheel chair….. the silliness began a few weeks ago when the kids were still on break due to the flooding at the Sahel Campus. I think the pictures will tell it best.

paintingcasts 035

unicycle V wheelchair

 

paintingcasts 040  paintingcasts 043 paintingcasts 044

Unicycle lessons for Issafou

paintingcasts 038

Will Julie get in??

paintingcasts 039

Of course she will…..wheel chair powered by unicycles. Having fun and playing is something truly wonderful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment