Thursday, September 13, 2012

Post Exercise Masa

On my last stretch approaching home, after a wonderful walk, I was enthusiastically greeted by a guard that was having his mid morning snack. I don’t know his name but he faithfully greets me each time I walk by (wonderful taking walks here….I love to slow down and “smell the roses”. Any hoo…). This morning he invited me to share his Masa. He said that I was doing well exercising and I needed a treat. So. I reached my hand into the all too familiar black plastic bag (they are EVERYWHERE & should be banned, in my opinion) and selected a hot masa cake and dipped it into the pile of “piment”. MMMMM, it was crunchy, hot, greasy goodness.  These yummy little “Nigerien muffins” are prepared roadside…..ground millet (really, yes,like the millet we use for bird seed in the US, it is a staple here), salt, sugar, water; the savory ones include bits  of onion, or other veggies. The are deep fried in oil and served with ground piment (spicy powder…ground peppers & spices).  An inexpensive treat served up in a black plastic bag.

This is one of the many wonderful things that I enjoy in Niger, a snack with a stranger….his smile could sure light up a room & boy do Nigeriens know how to be hospitable!

No comments:

Post a Comment