Saturday, December 8, 2012

Togetherness

 

becscurejardin 015

,becscurejardin 114

Yesterday, L & I had the pleasure to chat with the entire staff of CURE Niger. They were a captive audience (required weekly meeting). Well, when asked to reflect on the last 3 years, my eyes welled up with tears. I recalled some of my first days here, when it was just L & the kids & I. EVERYTHING was new & a bit overwhelming. Our driver, Amadou, would get us from here to there. We could not even drive ourselves!! I am sure that he did not have a clue how overwhelming it was…..everything was new; different foods, language, customs, rules & laws to name a few.                                                       

         jan 2012 camp 027   

CUREChristmas 024   CUREChristmas 029

baby ceremony 016  Abdrahamane's Mariage 010

CUREChristmas 058 CUREChristmas 010

HamadouWed 026  savannahrose 003

1 Year Anny 0081 Year Anny 016 

CUREChristmas 049 CUREChristmas 061 CUREChristmas 072

I was so filled with joy & yet my heart was heavy. We went from being almost alone here, to little by little amassing what seemed to be a small army to accomplish the task before us. This group of people who were sitting listening to what I had to share have become such a part of my life. We laugh together, blow bubbles together, pray together, eat together, learn together, work together, play together, cry & mourn together, celebrate so so much together…...babies, weddings, holidays, milestones, health & healing. This group of people that I have had the honor & privilege to know are much more than “staff” at a hospital….they are family. We have shared so much TOGETHER!

April2012Camp 003   Patienthostel 003

Best Morning 037 Best Morning 053

paintingcasts 008

I have enjoyed being “who” I am & being accepted, no matter how different I may be! It has been an amazing time of learning & asking so many questions (no matter how silly). My Nigerien family  has been so patient & gracious, as I have made mistakes & probably caught them by surprise on so many occasions. I will miss being with them & hearing all of the news….babies, family health, who visited & what they did,  did I hear this or that?….It is truly one of my favorite places in the entire world…..always greeted with a smile & sincere concern for my life. It is just a wonderful thing….togetherness. 

first clinic 043

No comments:

Post a Comment