Sunday, April 21, 2013

16

Drew's 16 Bday MS Banquet 001

Andrew Jacob Lehman entered the world at 8:40 AM on April the 14th 1997. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I remember the whole pregnancy and all sorts of details. He was so perfect, with such a gentle little cry….I won’t go into all that. I can not believe that he is now 16. He has been 16 for a week….for some reason this particular birthday seemed big! I have been thinking a lot about letting go little by little but enjoying each and every moment.

Drews 1st day of preschool2

Isn’t that what being a parent is all about? Little by little we “let our kids go”? From the 1st time I left him with a babysitter to preschool…..public school…sleepovers etc Hopefully we have prepared them for the situations that will arise. How will the act? Manners? Living in the Philippines, he is not old enough to drive here. That does not mean that he is not eager to do it! Just last Friday, after the band concert D asks to go to a movie with his buddies…I immediately said yes. He was so happy and animated and I could tell, he was just thrilled. Then my mind(and heart) started racing…how will you get home? Who’s going? Do you realize that it is already almost 9:00PM??  I mean we are living in a city….in SE Asia….WOW! I never would have imagined that at this point in his life he would have lived on 3 different continents….there is a bit of a gap between what I imagined his 16 year life would be and what it is….but I am extremely happy at who he is and who he is becoming. Won’t get sappy…I just love how complex he is, goofy yet so pensive.

Drew's 16 Bday MS Banquet 009   Flying Squid 052

Yet, as his Mom, sometimes I know what he is thinking by the look on his face or by a simple sigh. It is a thrill to be his Mom and see him everyday. I guess I started getting a little sentimental while listening to The After's new song entitled “This Life.”

Just brings home that “We can’t own it ….. we just get to hold it for awhile…This life…..we can’t keep it or save it for another time…this life…. What we give is all we have….. How we love is what lasts….this hope will carry us through…this life”. Hope that is encouraging and does not make you sad. Have to admit, I do have tears streaming as I write…The past 16 years have been quite amazing and wonderful. Yes, there are laments of time passing too quickly and not living on the same continent of so many I love dearly. I hold on to the times we are together and I know….. “we were never meant to stay…We don’t have to be afraid of what is on the other side…of THIS life”. I am so thankful for this life but most importantly for eternal life. I have learned a lot in these past 16 years but there are many more to come!

1 comment:

  1. :-)

    ...now, if i can get the video to load and play. (so glad you included lyrics!)

    ReplyDelete