Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Badjao

This morning, Leron and I visited a small community of Badjao people. They are often referred to as sea gypsies.  Everyone in that area are squatters.  Due to commercial shipping & other factors since WW2, they have settled on land. This particular community is in a Muslim area. We saw at least three different mosques. There was one little main street that would accommodate one way traffic. Lots of trikes. Lots of people. even a pool hall and kids playing games in the little dirt alley ways.

Badjao Village 044Badjao Village 041

Badjao Village 039

Badjao Village 035  Badjao Village 032

Badjao Village 033 Badjao Village 047

This particular area is one that I’ve seen as we travelled  to and from Samal Island. They are stilted houses. The Badjao people are living over the water. From the shore you can see both Samal and Tulikud Island. The kids were enjoying a swim (not the cleanest place to recreate, but alas, it is what they have)

Badjao Village 037  Badjao Village 034

So, that means, no sophisticated plumbing and well, they live over floating sewage trash. Planks of wood to walk on……some very slim passage ways. A maze of small humble dwellings.

Badjao Village 005  Badjao Village 011 Badjao Village 016 Badjao Village 025

Badjao Village 030 Badjao Village 022

We met a pastor at the church. Loved hearing the history of his people…different languages, customs, clothing & even physical attributes. Totally unique! We also checked out their school (no children as it is summer break…April/May here), observed some boat building, & toured the small part of town while our host followed up on a medical clinic.

Badjao Village 004 Badjao Village 012

Badjao Village 008        Badjao Village 048

I am still processing my thoughts from the morning. Wow, such poverty!! I was a bit overwhelmed as I had to watch each step. making sure my feet landed on solid boards so that I did not fall through to the raw sewage and trash below. But in the midst of it we were greeted by smiles… such gracious, kind, peace loving  people.

Badjao Village 003 Badjao Village 007

Badjao Village 009 Badjao Village 029

Badjao Village 045 Badjao Village 006

Such joy in the midst of such a harsh environment. I am always looking for the beauty…..the wonderful…. and here, I found in the people’s faces. They loved to have their pictures taken & I enjoyed playing peek a boo & just laughing with the children. Next time, I will be ready with my bubbles!

2 comments:

  1. I remember when you were living in Budd Lake talking about your vision for the future! Did you ever think God would open up such doors to literally "go into all the world?" Your warmth, smile, kindness, love and intercessor's heart speak volumes into the lives and hearts of these precious beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat. No, never really thought I would be "here" at this pint in my life. Surreal sometimes. I just wanted to hang out with the kids all day, their smiles are just infectious.

      Delete