Monday, July 29, 2013

Frangipani Trees

flowers 004

Smells like “home”. I was just thinking  how nice it is to have some familiar things to bridge cultures. This was one of my favorite plants in Niger. We had one in our front yard. Here in the Philippines, they are everywhere. There are some different colors, but I like the white ones with yellow centers. I call them Frangipani trees but they have other names like plumeria. They are one of the flowers used to make leis in Hawaii. I just love them! One of the streets in our neighborhood is lined with about 20 of them. As I walk alongside them, I often pick one up and smell it. Sweet fresh vanilla like fragrance. Like honeysuckle in the states, they can just put me in the best mood. For someone who has a VERY strong and sensitive sense of smell, I think things that smell good are truly wonderful (well, I am sure about anyone would appreciate that)!

No comments:

Post a Comment