Friday, October 13, 2017

Fall??


It is October the 14th. Yesterday I was snorkeling in the pristine waters off of Tulikud Island, Philippines. 


Hmmmm? Something is just not quite right. Oh yeah, the weather is supposed to be changing as are the colors of the leaves. FALL....the closest I get to Fall here is the red tips on the leaves of the three bushes in front of our home, walks on the path with Freckie that always have leaves to crunch & some pumpkin spice Chai tea that my awesome friend Mars gifted me. 


It is weird. There are so many things I love here, but I must be a creature of habit? I am really feeling it this year. 8 years (wait, a couple of years ago, I traveled home alone to enjoy fall with Mom & Dad, a sweet surprise) of living abroad and not being in Pennsylvania for the Fall... It is one of my favorite times of the year, crisp air, gorgeous foliage, fresh apples, bonfires & the moon on a chilly night.

credits: Faith Matthews. Joe Pond, VT



This is not a complaint or a "woe is me" post, just some reflections. Just realizing why I might feel a bit off these last few days maybe even weeks? Actually today, the sky is not typical. It could pass as a fall sky? This picture was taken at 1;30 PM. We usually have beautiful blue skies with the most amazing clouds evah! But today, I will take this cloudy gray sky & pretend that it is Fall.


I think my feelings are more intense as I have two boys in university talking about all of the changes they are experiencing. Funny, but they are missing bits of living abroad. They are cold. Ha ha. I guess all of our experiences really make us who we are. We are Pennsylvanians born & raised with a bit of NJ, some Niger & a whole lotta Philippines.  I am sure this time next year I will be longing for kinilaw, flip flops, mangoes & the white sand of Tulikud Island!

I must sound confused? Fall or no Fall....something inside me is saying it should be here but that is not the reality. Atleast Pennsylvania Fall. Not sure what that means, but today and right now I guess it means extra pumpkin spice Chai, early walks with the hope to catch a cool breeze, time with my sweet Freckie 


& maybe crank the air con and put on my favorite green sweat shirt for a bit? Also, I LOVE seeing posts on Instagram & FB of all my Fall-loving friends are enjoying. I have no problem enjoying Fall vicariously through you! Thanks, in advance!! Well, tomorrow it will be back to eternal summer...flip flops, shorts, beautiful blue skies with fluffy clouds & wonderful ripe fresh tropical fruit. It is my reality. Fall is truly wonderful, but I do have to say that I am quite happy being here in the Philippines right now sipping my pumpkin spice Chai. 


No comments:

Post a Comment