Tuesday, January 16, 2018

So much more than a bunch of bananas

Yesterday, the neighbor from across the street rang the gate bell and had a surprise for me. Ok, Let's back up a bit. When I hear the gate bell, I am usually a bit annoyed. I have to drop everything I am doing and run out. So many times, it is to sign for mail or a village announcement. Silly that they cannot just place it in the mailbox? I will not get started on that topic. So, when the bell rang, I was on the phone with my Mom. Which is always precious to me. I really treasure the fact that I can pick up the phone and talk to her with such ease. I just did not want to go and get the gate....but I HAD to.

Well, at the gate I was greeted by my neighbor. He is one of the sweetest, kindest, gentlest people! He had picked a big bunch of bananas from behind his home. What a sweet perk of living in he tropics. The fruit is amazing! This bunch of bananas was tree-ripe. Literally splitting out of the skins. They are cute little stubby bananas, bursting with flavor and as sweet as can be. What a treat!! The bananas were so ripe that one started to just fall of the bunch. Joel, my neighbor, lovingly said that we needed to "transfer" the bananas from his arms that were cradling them to mine. We moved close and he gently  passed them to me and then he was on his way.

Image may contain: food
Philippine bananas are amazing and my little pup thinks she deserves one?

I got to thinking about this unexpected gift. How often do I meet situations with annoyance out of a bad attitude of not wanting to be bothered? Do I miss these treats? This unexpected gift of love. What a shame. Thinking about the whole interaction with Joel, I thought about how he is. He is in his 70's,  kind and welcoming. Much of the time there are beautiful hymns being played on the piano by his daughter  flowing from his home. Joel and his wife are often out gardening or taking a walk holding hands. I want to grow into my 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s ( who knows how old?) being tender, kind and a source of blessing to those around me. Making the world better. Wow, attitude check right NOW!

I am so thankful for this spontaneous gift that led to this sweet reflection. These were not just any bananas, they were full of wisdom and thought provoking, the sweetest, best that I have ever eaten. And it took an intentional act of the neighbor just to think of someone other than himself, just to bring joy and make me smile. This was love that I did not deserve, expecting nothing in return. They were BURSTING out, begging to be eaten. ;) I could have missed out!! I had to let him inside the gate to get them from him and get close enough to protect the gift being passed from him to me. Man the parallels in my life right now? Relationship and intentionality of life are incredible important! What is my outlook and what am I doing to go out of my way to be loving and kind and to prefer others? It is only Wednesday and I am learning tons just from a bunch of bananas...something truly wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment