Monday, August 29, 2011

The simple life?

Yesterday, I planned a lovely brunch for a couple of guests only to have them cancel last minute. No problem....the family thoroughly enjoyed the bacon, egg and cheese casserole as well as apple cinnamon muffins, pineapple and fresh bissap. I got to thinking, although it takes longer to get things done living here, I am EXTREMELY grateful for the modern conveniences that I do have. My brunch would have been much more difficult to make without our gas stove. I so appreciate having a gas stove as not even our power outages can put an end to the yummy treats I can bake!

Last fall, when we were planning to open the hospital we arranged to have 6 sheep prepared for our guests. We delivered the livestock to a man who then slaughtered, cleaned and stuffed them with rice and couscous and then baked them in a special outdoor oven. I was so happy he could do ALL of that! I am so happy that I do not have to cook outside. Many people here in Niger cook over open fires or have small propane burners with large kettles many are outside in their courtyards or behind their homes). 



Another lovely convenience is my washing machine. Boy, do my kids produce the dirty clothes. It is so nice to be able to wash them all together than to do it all by hand. Nigeriens wash by hand and many do it in the Niger River. After washing, they lay the clothing flat on the ground or hang them in trees or on fences or barbed wire or  the guard rail on the bridge.

I am fortunate to use a clothesline. I don't really even miss a dryer. Funny, but that is one chore I don't mind....hanging my clothes on the line. It is actually relaxing to me and I have a beautiful bird that will even come and sing to me! There are advantages to simplifying too, I can do without much of what I used to think I had to have.



So today, I am marveling at wonderful innovations that make life a bit easier: for them I am quite thankful! Ovens, stoves, washing machines, fans, blenders, refrigerators, freezers, a/c and I should not forget indoor plumbing and toilets to say the least.....not to forget those things that keep me connected....computers, internet, cell phones, Vonage, i pods! Boy the list would go on and on. They all make life a bit easier and often in my case, yummier! I like things that make life easier but am discovering that it is not the end of the world if I have to exert a bit more energy or find a different solution. There is something to be said about living a simple life. I think my life could and should get simpler and simpler, just years of convenience are not easy to part with nor do I think we should not use the things that have been invented to ease our load. Oh, not sure what I am saying. Just very wonderful to have power today and to get my wash in and on the line......

1 comment:

  1. I feel refreshed just reading your posts, Chris, and I'm thinking it would be good for all of us to simplify. It's easier to find joy in a moment and be thankful for simple pleasures when we take time to breathe. You reminded me of the peace I found in hanging clothes and taking them down for my mom. My girls have never experienced that. I feel sad at how their lives rush by consumed with technology. I agree. We need to return to the simple. You are blessed! And your brunch sounds yummy. I look forward to reading more of your "simple" adventures. Blessings. ;)

    ReplyDelete