Wednesday, August 31, 2011

hospitality

Yesterday all over Niger, Muslims were celebrating the end of Ramadan. We have a young Christian friend who is from a Muslim family who asked us to come and feast with him. We are learning the balance of living in this Islamic culture and accepted his parents invitation. As we drove along, we noticed how happy and dressed up everyone was. It seemed that everyone was on  way their way to celebrate with family and friends. Leron navigated the walled off neighborhoods like a pro. I am always impressed that he seems to know how to get anywhere. We soon stopped in front of Souleyman's house. No one was there and a kind man came and asked who we were looking for. He knew where Souley was and hopped (very common here) in the back of the truck to help us find our way.

We arrived at the small mud walled property and were greeted by Souleyman's father. He was so delighted to have us. He immediately walked us into their small house, it is worth mentioning that they are just staying at this house because their home has been destroyed by the rain. All the same, he gave us each a place to sit inside this small dwelling. It was a room with a thin mattress on the floor at one side of the room a small table at the other and then just a circle of plastic chairs that they had placed for us to sit. The walls were covered with some fabric to soften the  mud brick construction and there was an opening for a window and a door. The door was covered by another piece of fabric that blew each time the fan osculated toward it. I looked and noticed that the three pictures that had been put up temporarily, all had people I knew. I happened to be in one, another was of the founders of CURE International. Souleyman was one of the first people we met in Niger. He was a go getter and wanted to help with anything he could at the Hospital. It is ALWAYS humbling to me when I am a guest here. I feel like I should be the one giving and hosting. I am learning so much about receiving and how to be a gracious guest. I have to admit that I was a bit apprehensive going. I am still learning a lot about giving my attitudes as well as comfort to the Lord. I have so far to go.  I woke up in the morning sort of dreading how warm I would get, how long I would have to stay, not being to communicate the way I would like and if I would get a bit sick on the food and well, those can be concerns. They are not important. This family was extending to us the place of honor, their best. Like I said, quite humbling and I guess I do not have words.

It amazes me the simple joy it brings to break bread together. It was a bit funny though. When we got the invite they said  to come at 9:00 AM. Interesting time for a meal of chicken and fries? Souley's mother and father had already eaten and just loved sitting there watching us eat and serving us. Their son and his friends. They know we are not Muslim, they know we are Christians and it was quite delightful to sit and talk and laugh, ALOT. The food kept coming and Souley's mom was quite pleased at how much Drew ate. His father kept commenting that Drew "eats like and African"...I have to say that I was delighted to look over and see his hands dripping with sauce and food on his face. He was truly enjoying himself and receiving with such grace. So, we ate and ate and tried new things and really enjoyed our time. There was chicken (torn apart by Souley...I had seen this before when attending a wedding with him), pate de mil, sauce, hard boiled eggs, egg omelet like things, beignets (fried dough) canned peas, and condiments. We learned some Zerma and Hausa and well something else. Souley's parents talked about growing up and where they were from in Niger. It was delightful. It just makes me happy just thinking back on it. When it came time to leave we were all offered a kettle a bucket and some soap to wash off.

Ready to leave we were offered a gift. Souleyman had caught a hen and a rooster and held them upside down by the feet. He and his parents were asking if the children wanted one? Leron immediately said...."we do not need a chicken, please you keep it." They were VERY insistent and so, we have a remembrance of our day. It had a turbulent ride home in the t ruck and is now running around our yard......Nugget, the hen. We did not dare choose the rooster,although he was pretty cool. We have an alarm clock already. So, I am learning more and more about the joy of giving and receiving and hospitality. It is something quite wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. So wonderful! You have painted a great word picture. I could almost feel and taste the dishes. When I was first in Uganda, I had a similar experience with generous hospitality. One dish offered to us was called leeba leeva...what's that? we wondered...it turned out to be some sort of liver. My companion thought that the 'leeba' was some sort of reptile. Actually, it was just an attempt to say 'liver'. Too funny! Except that we had to eat some to be polite:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo, that is too funny. Becca finds herself a bit challenged at these African dinners. You know how kids are. I had to tell her not to looks with such an unpleasant look on her face. I know I I was like that at that age...still sometime hard to control my face so it does not reflect the woozy feelings in my stomach. You would have loved it!

    ReplyDelete