Monday, December 5, 2011

monday

mondays, some people like them some people don’t. i usually like them but it is not even 9:00 and i am having a horrible one. drew stayed home from school with some terrible bug. i was anxious to do  the carpool and get right home. well, today that did not happen smoothly. to say the least. the trouble started when i heard that they were going to block the roads. this is common when the president wants to go somewhere or there are dignitaries. i am not kidding when i say it shuts the city down....like it is tied in a big knot. so, i decided to take the new chinese bridge home as traffic had already started backing up the way I usually travel across the kennedy bridge from school. so, took the long way and enjoyed the nice smooth ride across the chinese bridge.

at the end of the bridge is where the bigger problems evolved. as far as my eye could see, the traffic was stopped. 3 lanes going one way. i needed to take leron to the hospital and was concerned about time in the first place. i found myself in three lanes of traffic that were not moving. DRAT….i reached for my cell phone and well, it was not there. i was frustrated but it was not until a gentleman decided that 3 lanes were insufficient and he misjudged where his new 4th lane should be. i felt this weird kind of bump and heard this odd noise. my imagination jumped to the thought that someone hopped on to the back of my car. well, when i looked through my driver's side mirror, i discovered the problem. he basically scrapped his mirror along my car. he was actually stuck! mind you, WE WERE STOPPED and I was just sitting there minding my own business. now, i have had to live with the new reality that lots of accidents just happen here. i like to take good care of the things were are privileged to use, so it bothered me. I rolled the window down and gestured (as politely as i could) “what are you thinking?” i however did not want to get out of the car because, well, i was in a part of town completely shut down, without my cell and all alone. to make matters worse, when the guy’s passenger finally got the mirror unstuck, he pulled along side me like he wanted to tell me things were fine. the common phrase is pas de problem….no problem everything is fine. i LOST IT.  i just put my hand over my face and started to cry. he just went on his merry way using the berm in the other lane to inch his way further toward the intersection.

i continued to wait and i just longed to be out of the car. i  just wanted to be on a nice pennsylvanian freeway. well, the waiting continued and i finally got to inch a little and then all the other motorists wanting to cut through traffic started causing more problems. i found myself just not feeling like myself. it was like i just wanted to go all crazy and smash cars up……WOW. ooops, you are all going to think i am on the edge. maybe i just need a break from everything unfamiliar around me? think it has been brewing for a bit……well, I made it to the intersection and was waved through by the police, THANKS for the mess, right? well, then i found myself in a “round about” that is questionably round, it is more like a parking lot that people speed through. i was so flustered and COMPLETELY at the end of my rope by this time and i started praying for mercy, forgiveness and asking jesus for a hint of which road was best.

i managed to pick one that it usually on the busy end, but navigated it fine. OK, so then, all was fine? nope….still seemed to be a bit on edge to say the least….still many people making very interesting driving choices…..WATCH OUT for the crazed white woman! made it home and really lost it. i called leron, who was also stuck in traffic with josh and so he walked home to console me….i am so thankful for jesus, a wonderful husband & family  who loves me. so, i know I am gonna make it! hope the rest of my monday improves….it can only get better, right? think maybe I should “stay in” today….

2 comments:

  1. Oh yuk! Sorry to hear that your Monday has stared out so out of sorts. I had to chuckle and cry all at the same time. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh la la! Now that's a Monday worth forgetting! Chris, try not to be so hard on yourself. I'm not sure many of us would even attempt to drive there. It's crazy! You are living in a European and African city which makes for crazy driving!!! Take a deep breath. Have a cup of tea. Tomorrow is another day. Wish I was there...it's so hard to leave a huge part of my heart in Niger. Praying for the Prince of Peace to bring you comfort and some tranquility. You are so loved!!

    ReplyDelete