Friday, December 2, 2011

Celebrations Abroad

I was having a hard time putting into words my thoughts from the past week. Holidays are the hard part of being so far away from family. I am so thankful for Vonage and Skype as well as new friends and celebrations here. I end up feeling a bit strange…missing home but loving celebrating in a new way. So Thanksgiving week consisted in a bunch of random things for me: Ben’s soccer game, a tortoise crossing, a phone line “snap”, a day with K/1 @ Sahel, a baby skink with a very blue tail and 2 very different Thanksgiving dinners.

Ben lost his soccer game, but looked smashing in his uniform. Rover, the turtle, zipped across the road unharmed. We dined at our favorite French Restaurant, where we were the only patrons. It was an intimate Thanksgiving dinner with just our family on Thanksgiving eve. So weird, the kids had school and Leron worked. No time off.

I was delighted to sub on Friday in the K/1 class. Becca’s book buddy was absent, so she treated Victory to a book.

The phone line was repaired Saturday morning by means of tying a bigger knot than Leron did. Leron tried to take matters into his own hands and tied the first knot. Apparently he needed to use a plastic bag too, see the pics. :) Crazy but it works, somehow it works. This line was snapped when a truck that was too big decided to take a shortcut and well, he got snagged and kept right on going.

Missed the cool fall air (But have to admit the weather is so pleasant right now, Nigeriens are pulling out their winter coats and children have knit caps on) and the aroma of turkey when I woke up.

We enjoyed a more traditional meal with our CURE family on Saturday….Turkey, stuffing (with fresh sage all the way from Israel), potatoes, gravy, my Grandma’s homemade noodles, homemade ice cream and PIE! The eating was fabulous but the talking and laughing and hanging out were exactly what I needed. So, I find myself very thankful for a wonderful family to miss &new friends to celebrate with……the randomness here keeps me fresh and excited. Good stories and memories anyway! Here are a few highlights:
thanksgivingweek2011 002

No comments:

Post a Comment