Wednesday, April 19, 2017

60

I did it!


No that was not it, maybe this?


or this?


No seriously, today, I completed lesson #60 of Cebuano/ Bisayan language study here in the Philippines! I was a little embarrassed to post this as I have been at this a loooooonnnng time. About 3 years?? Ha ha ha. Actually I have taken times off but always had the goal to finish the program. Some lessons took several weeks and some lessons were filled with laughter and lots of cultural lessons. I had two partners during my studies.

First was Janessa, our trusty intern who was with us a little less than a year and a half


but the greater part was spent with my friend, Mars...

.

Am I fluent?? HA HA. Do I understand much of what I hear? Hmmmm, alot with some gaps??! But there are so many languages that people flow in and out of here that I would have to stay a really long time to hash all of that out! I chose Cebuano/ Bisayan because many of patients speak it. It  is not the national language, Tagalog but I do feel that it communicates love, care & comfort. Although sometimes frustrating and humiliating, it often provides comic relief and keeps things light. I am just feeling very accomplished today. Rejoice with me?

One lament? I will miss the language/ culture expert, BeBe Metillo! Gwapa s'ya...sulod ug sa gawas! Elle est incroyable....ooops I mean... Kahibulongan s'ya! (is that right BeBe?)


She is a superstar and a trusted friend. I recommend her to anyone wanting to study. She tried to pitch her Tagalog course next.....need a break for a while! But for now at least Mars understands me.....I think?


I still revert to french in strange or uncomfortable cultural situations....Parlez vous Francais? Je ne comprende pas! Desole....... Oi Vay!! My brain must be in knots? BeBe says it is all in there and says it will just start coming out, WATCH OUT! I just need to try more and not worry about perfection. Believe me, it is far from perfect! Language and culture something wonderful. Today I am thankful for so many wonderful things, friends who stick with things and help me to do the same, dedicated teachers, perseverance & chances to push limits. Salamat kaayo!!


No comments:

Post a Comment