Sunday, September 3, 2017

"I miss being a kid...."

Ben's 1st week of his freshman year of college, one reflection stood out. "I miss being a kid."

Me too. I miss him being a kid not lying, I miss being a kid. Ha ha ha. I have been pondering this.

Recently, I have been puppy sitting for a friend. I was just noticing the other day how it is much like having a toddler around the house...puppy proofing things, cleaning up multiple messes, encouraging him to eat the right things, keeping sticks and stones out of his mouth, constant praise for the little things like peeing outside or bringing me a toy, constant energy, eyes on me at ALL times (private times as well...toilet/shower) and then oh no, when puppy is out of sight I better go and find the little bugger because he is usually up to mischief or pooping in a secret location.

So, I was thinking of the stages of kids growing up. It has been quite a few years since having a toddler around and man are those some special memories. Many times  I will hear kids say that they want to grow up and look forward to future activities that are for "big kids". Looking forward to the next school year and wanting to be taller, wanting to have new and different privileges. But now my kids are  "big kids". This did not happen overnight but sure felt like it did. Each stage has its challenges for sure, but such sweet reward. I just keep on thinking, don't wish any stage or phase of life away. There are new things to experience and be learned. Technically a kid is a child or young person. What is young exactly?

So what was Ben referring to? Does he still want to be a child? It can be nice having the basics of your life cared for by a parent or guardian. Hmmm, I think he was probably referring to the responsibilities: adulting. As prepared as you think you are it  can be overwhelming. Hmmm, that dirty laundry does not magically  escape from the basket only to be returned smelling fresh and neatly folded. Bills need to be paid, realizing how much things cost, making a schedule, getting things done, working, and living with a new community of people. The list goes on. I can understand the overwhelming feeling of feeling the responsibility for it all. I think that is what he was referring to? Because he is still playing....just differently (volleyball, video games) he is still being fed and has clothes to wear.  The difference is that he is making the choices for himself. Although he is no longer finding new friends at the park while playing in the sandbox, he is still finding new friends. So much of how he was a a little kid has remained with him. Really the basics of facing life. Making wise choices, valuing people, learning new things,  even taking risks. He may not be able to see it, but I do.


Moving away home may be one of the most significant milestones in growing up. There are many new responsibilities and I am seeing my boys figure this new role out....but in reality they will always be kids to me. I love how our family really values making each other laugh and enjoy something. We have a group chat going now for  a second year. Funny little videos, little updates on life and just a sense of connectedness. One of my favorite things about my kids, is the little chats here and there. They will come find me or I will find them, so this group chat is how we stay close while far away.

I love that my kids are still childlike and joke, tease, play and have fun. Wow, I am still a kid at heart too. I do not always jump into new situations and often access something as too hard. But when I do, I find quite the reward when I take the chance often times finding treasures beyond what I expect. Sometimes I like to have people make choices for me and take care of me. But there is a satisfaction of having the responsibility and choices of a grown up life. But growing up happens. So to you Ben, still enjoy being a kid...cause you still are, just a bigger one! You will make it and learn all sorts of t hings you never imagined and continue to call me with all of your laundry queries. You are doing marvelous! Kids of all ages (0-110)  are certainly something wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment