Saturday, September 16, 2017

The Birth of a Speed Bump

Oh, the soothing sound of a jack hammer on a Saturday morning. Ha ha ha. Not really, this country girl loves a nice quiet morning, but the racket outside got me thinking. Early this week I started blogging in my head again....so here is my attempt at capturing that here! I do not think that I have blogged about traffic in a long while. I think the last one was something about how it is a bit like playing the video game Frogger ( that may have been from our time in Niger?). That is still the case, but traffic is becoming a bit more challenging the longer we live here. Still U Turns galore, drivers backing out into traffic, interesting choices by drivers, rude taxis and well, just lots of issues...more cars on the road and general confusion about basic traffic rules. I am not pointing the finger because I have done all of these things! The longer I am here the more I figure out and go with the flow. Some days I can just shake my head and laugh and other days, it is best for me to stay home. But today, I want to focus on the newest development outside my gate. The Speed Bump or Speed Hump as they call it here (or my as my British neighbor calls it, the silent police).

We live a in a large gated community with nice flat roads. Over the last month, our roads have speed bumps appearing. When I leave my gate to travel to the exit that I use to go to  the hospital, I travel over 13 bumps before making it to the main road! Why so many you ask? Well, it is my theory that the current situation on the roads is soooo frustrating to most people that when they get on to a freed up and flat road, they put the pedal to the metal and rip. You just want to press the gas and go go go. And they do. I was actually happy that we were getting 3 new bumps right close to the house as people speed quite fast past our home. It can be an irritant to be honked at every time I am backing out of my carport. We live on the road that the gym is located on, so there is a good bit of traffic coming and going. The speed limit in our development is 30 kilometers per hour....which to my North American friends is 18.64 mph...SLOW! Kinda like a school zone! That is also the limit on most city roads and depending where you are driving you can go a bit faster, but the limit is not monitored within our development like it can be in the city. So, as the traffic has gotten worse and things have become more congested, I have noticed the rate of speed just in front of our house has increased.

This week, they started constructing the small bump/hump in front of the house. It is quite the project. I was conducting surveillance of the workers from my upstairs bathroom window. Weird? Maybe? But nonetheless, some of you may enjoy this.....









 Such a process. Jack hammer...carve the foundation, mix the cement, measure, pour, dry, barricade and  paint. One side then a few days to dry out then the other. I was a bit happy to see one going in to slow people down. Guess I am showing my age......I want to holler at people and shake my fist telling them that someone is going to get run over!!  Looking at this bump, I am not sure it is big enough  to do any kind of job AND the paint is already peeling off the side they painted! Now people come by, get over the bump, rev their engine and take off again.

Oh well, not sure there is anything very wonderful about this post? Just seemed like a noteworthy happening this week.  I am thankful to live in a beautiful development with people who are trying to keep it a safe environment. People who care are something wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment