Thursday, September 1, 2011

Bubbles with Abbas

I have always had a fascination with bubbles, whether they are blowing in the breeze, in the bathtub, big or small. As a kid, my brother would always protest  when we were on a road trip, I just loved to stop at every bathroom. I loved the opportunity just to check out the soap. I am still a but of a nut and Bath and Body Works happens to be one of my favorite stores......I seem to have passed my love for wonderful smells and bubbles to Becca. One time, I forgot to warn Leron before he took her shopping the B&BW by himself. The child has to rinse off before she leaves the store becasue she has sampled EVERYTHING possible!!So all that to say, I just think that bubbles are quite wonderful. They are simple, beautiful,  carefree, fun, and maybe even silly.............


they seem to have a mind of their own! Here are a few floating around he hospital compound.

 Maybe my love of bubbles, sidewalk chalk and the like were one of the inspirations to choosing to study education. If I can be around children...I can play! When I was teaching, I was always doing bubble experiments with different solutions, different blowing implements. Teaching, of course, was so much more than that but I still love to play.  Oh, how I  do love a good sunny day with a mild breeze. 

As a young mother I continued my love of  PLAY with my own children ...sandboxes, kites, bubble gadgets and more bubbles, play-dough and finger paint. Our dog even got into the action and produced some of the best belly laughs as she was a bubble eater!  Presently, my kids ages are all in the double digits and not always amused my my antics, but my playing continues.

 
  Now, my favorite place to blow bubbles is  the CURE Children's Hospital of Niger. It is still a bit surreal to me that we live in Africa! Each day we witness life lived so differently than what we are used to; food, smells and sights . Observing such poverty and poor health care in particular can be overwhelming at times, but the most wonderful thing happens when I start my bubble blowing!!! Such simple thing bring such joy. Some people have never seen bubbles and are a little unsure and even timid. When children (and their parents, guardians and and guests)  find that they can be chased and popped, the real  fun begins. It breaks down language barriers and cultural barriers. Just smiling, laughing and being silly.....spending time together is priceless.  Just walking around with a trail of bubbles behind me is such a delight! I was just spending some time at the patient hostel (where patients and their families can stay if the treatment is longer term and or they have traveled a great distance) here at CURE with my bubble blowing buddy, Abbas.
 
  Abbas has been here quite a while becasue of a wound that will not heal properly. Initially  he was here with his Uncle but now with his mother and little brother. Abbas is such a delight and we love spending time seeing how many and how big we can blow bubbles. Today, there was another little boy, wearing only a bandage around his torso, chasing our bubbles and giggling. He was a bit shy at first but it did not take much time until he was enjoying our bubbles. The most fun though, includes everyone around....watching the bubbles catch the wind currents and soar effortlessly up up and away. Maybe that is why I love bubbles so much? Such a simple thing bringing such joy and laughter to all ages. It is something quite wonderful just to spend a sunny day here in Niger blowing bubbles with Abbas.


No comments:

Post a Comment