Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Look who's coming for dinner......

 One of my favorite things to do is to watch birds. Growing up in Western PA, there were always plenty of birds to spot and ALWAYS a bird book close by.  So, Mom and Dad...thought you would enjoy this post!
I am enjoying getting to see some different types of birds living here in Niger. For my 40th birthday, Leron had Andy bring a feeder from the states. It just makes me happy to see these little birds....they do sell them at the Baaklini Market, but mine are not confined to a small cage.
 If you remember a few blogs ago.....Nugget has figured out that a great place for her to hang out is under it! Today, when I heard a bunch of cheep cheep cheeping out on the terrace (NOT clucking). I went to investigate and  there were birds everywhere. There was even a bird looking into the house from the screen door. Of course when I decided that I would take some photos, they decided to leave. I thought I was gettting a good picture of some of the younger birds getting food from the ground and this is what I got instead...Nugget was pretty hungry today and has gotten much more bold!
   Well, when we have a flurry at the feeder in PA, lots of times it is dominated by little finches....purple, house an brightly colored gold finches..... here I have been delighted that the finch parties are beautiful red ones. My parents refer to it as a "Finch Party". It seems a though the birds come in pair but judging from the racket and the activity in the hedge nearby...it is a few families that partake millet from the feeder.
I like popcorn but NOT millet....

Such WONDERFUL creation....I just love it and enjoying it from my terrace.....It was a busy place this afternoon....with all the eating and ALWAYS a favorite place for lizards to bask.....the lizards seemed to be "posing" today.....check it out!
this guy stared me down, he was pretty small and NOT intimidating at all

2 comments:

  1. Your nephews like the first lizard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Joy, tell em that I was thinking they would probably like it better than birds. I think of them as Nigerien chipmunks....ha ha ha...they are EVERYWHERE. The boys would love chasing all the lizards around...there are so many small ones right now.

    ReplyDelete