Thursday, September 15, 2011

STORMS

 
 
I have ALWAYS loved storms and the more thunder and lightning, the better. As a kid, I loved sitting on the front porch swing and enjoying the coolness of  a storm as I watched the wonderful lightning displays in the sky. I also loved the sound of the raindrops on the tin roof that was right outside my bedroom window. I know that my friends in PA have had their share and have even endured hardship as a result of unprecedented rainfall. For that I am sorry.  Sometimes we experience flash flooding here and last year was a particularyly harsh year as people along the river lost their homes and crops. Here is a picture of our compound last year. It can rain so much that the water does not have any where to go, such hard and dry ground..


Since moving to Niger my love of storms has increased. Maybe it is becasue this land is sooooo dry and thirsty? The water is so needed? The refreshment of a storm just can't be beat. The children dance and play in their fresh shower from the sky. Pure delight.... laughter and joy. As I write it is only 11:30 AM and it is growing very dark.....ahhh there it is, the rain.

 

 Funny, but just about an hour ago I was out and about and there was not even a hint that rain was on its way. After coming home and getting the laundry started, the house became quite dark. It grew even darker as Ferdinand closed the big shutters that are over my windows. They make our house so dark. They are like hurricane shutters. The do a great job keeping the elements OUTSIDE especially all of the dust that a sand storm brings!


Ahh the rain. The temperature outside is not at 72 degrees (it was already 90, a 20 degree drop feels wonderful). I love love love storms. The rumble of the thunder, the smell of the dust now making banco (mud), BIRD making all sorts of racket but mainly cheerfully whistling as he enjoys the rain, the sound of the drops on the roof, flashes of lightning and water falling and making small puddles....


just so soothing to me..I  know that it will bring joy to the farmers and to many living in the Sahel. Storms and rain are not very plentiful even though it is still rainy season...this storm seems to be coming to an end as quickly as it began.  We have had some more substantial rain but it is not enough and that will cause farming problems in the near future. Lasting less than a hour hour it brought refreshment and cooler air....oh wait the thunder continues and now more rain. What an absolutely wonderful treat! Well, I guess the clothes will not see the line today.....indoor drying racks too can be rather wonderful on a day like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment