Wednesday, October 26, 2011

momentary troubles

Today, I just feel a bit off….. Yesterday, I went and spent some time at a new preschool here in Niamey…we sang, danced, spoke basic French and of course blew bubbles…I just wanted these little ones to feel valued, special…well as soon as I left, I almost got in accident, which is not very uncommon and the driver reamed me out and then while I was still reeling from that emotional feeling I was mocked by a few camera men at the hospital…seriously, It was as if as soon as I gained sight and looked at the eternal and the value of the human life in these children that the troubles and circumstances wanted to blind me to God’s goodness and purposes.

Today, I was hoping to spend some great time alone with God and sure enough…the troubles (more like irritations) troubles were dumped (literally) at my gate. This is like the 10th pile of sand that has been dumped across from our gate.  The house across the street has been under construction over a year and now they are needing to put in a pool…will it ever end? Our alley is narrow enough and this makes getting in and out with the truck a challenge.  Of course Ferdinand knew my displeasure…maybe it was me talking to myself a bit louder than I needed to (I was on the elliptical and had the I pod on). he wanted to make it alright. That is what he desires to do…simply serve and make my life easier. But “no”…this is just a minor inconvenience and a good opportunity to rise above it all. So, I graciously apologized and thanked him and said that there were much bigger problems than mine and I was basically acting like a baby. He just laughed, but really....those aren't troubles!!!!

Really, we see people with all sorts of deformities & handicaps daily, children begging in the street! What bothers me and ruffles my feathers?? a pile of sand…oh my! I have to realize that having Ferdinand here all day….I am in a bit of a fish bowl. Lord, have mercy…he sees lots of laughing and crazy behavior but he sees the bad things too and t he sad times…well, God sees all of that and know the reasons. It is not for Ferdinand to fix or even me……it is for  me to lay it down and let Jesus heal my sight/ readjust my focus to those unseen…. and attend to His business with joy and compassion. I mean really, a pile of sand gets my panties in a bunch? What about the trafficking of woman and children, abuse, starvation all around, homelessness, religious persecution…the list goes on of all the injustice and terrible things plaguing people! Seems as though the issues that generally get me all fired up are those relating directly with my life and the comfort and ease for my own family. Oh, to know the heart of God! Really, I am trying, but it is such a battle to keep perspective…there seems to be sand in my eyes…blurring my vision…distracting me… Sorry so heavy, just readjusting once more….

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal (2 Corinthians 4:17-18)

1 comment:

  1. So real! Thanks Christine! Love you and your gracious hospitality! Missing you already!

    ReplyDelete