Saturday, October 8, 2011

Now that's a BIG fish!

It's Saturday morning and the fish monger stops by our gate. Yes, I can certainly use some more fish. One of our favorite meals is capitaine from the Niger River. I soak it in eggs and then dredge it in a flour mixture including pepper, salt, garlic and onion powder. I love to I buy it fresh and freeze it. Today I bought 7 kilo (that is 15.4 lbs). Now that is weighed bone, head and all. You have to buy a whole fish and he only had fish weighing in at 3 or 4 kilo....I wanted 5 kilo so, I settled on 7.


The poissinere fillets the fish right on our walkway. He puts the wonderful fillets in a big bowl for me. Ferdinand takes the head, skin and bones for stew. Today, he cut 2 fish for me but he had a fish that was 14 kilo (that is a 30.8 lb fish). Ferdinand is measuring it next to Becca. Becca said it was stinky, but really capitaine is such a mild fish.

1 comment: