Friday, October 21, 2011

A mouthful

I was observing a lizard eating a grasshopper. Right now the grass hoppers are EVERYWHERE and the lizards are as plentiful as chipmunks are in Pennsylvania. Anyway, this was a small lizard and the grasshopper was over half the size of it. It took this poor little guy almost 15 minutes to get his yummy nourishment down. I sure wish I could have snapped a photo.
Of course, I got to thinking how this may apply to my life. How often do I “bite off more than I can chew”? Then I  choke it down, not do it well,  struggle until something changes or am rude and hard to understand when I talk with my mouth full!  Well, lately I have been contemplating the things that I need to be doing and choosing the best things instead of choosing every good thing that comes along. I have been spending more time at the hospital and will be spending some time at a brand new Nigerien Preschool. I know that as I lay my life down and allow God to show me His ways and purposes for me, I will change the atmosphere around me! I have to admit, today I started the day a bit blue. It is not difficult to find life here overwhelming. The needs are many and great…I do not have to venture very far to know this.
This morning I had an awesome “run” on the elliptical and just spent time listening to Switchfoot and praying and thinking…what a productive morning. Not much to show for it except the puddle of sweat…but all around, I am better for my nice long wonderful “run”…peaceful  in great perspective. Thanks to that wonderful little lizard for reminding me to take life in manageable bites…..don’t want to get overwhelmed by all of the world's problems. I will do what I can where I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment